Friday, September 4, 2009

The dryer quit

If it's not one thing it's another.

Yesterday, the dryer quit working. Just won't do anything.

My brother did his analysis and thinks it's a non resettable switch, which should cost about $30.00. Problem is, when I called Sears, the service charge is $129.00 plus parts, which means we are over $150.00 at least.

We aren't sure how old the dryer is. I asked my Mom, but she doesn't remember. A year ago she might have known, but not now.

My best guess is it's at least 15 years old, maybe even 20. It is a Kenmore Heavy Duty. My parents always bought top of the line Kenmore appliances, and they lasted forever. This thing might be more than 30 years old.

As we will sell the house when my Mom dies, it doesn't make sense to spend too much money on a dryer. I checked the ads, then phoned the appliance store where I bought the fridge and dishwasher for my "bungalow". They couldn't match any of the advertised prices, but after chatting a bit, they said they had some nice used dryers for around $150.00.

Bingo! Just what we need. So, my sister, her son and husband will go pick one up and bring it here.

As much as I complain about my sister, she is usually quite good about these sorts of things. Of course, she does always enlist the help of her kids and/or husband, so I guess it's really them I have to thank.

I was chatting with the home health aide about dryers today when she was here giving Mom a bath. What we believe to be a necessity, my Mom thought was a luxury. She had 4 children born in the winter before she had a dryer. I remember her telling me should would hang diapers out on the line to freeze in the winter, as a way to dry them.

Wow, I have no reason to complain about my life. We live with air conditioning, washer/dryer, dishwasher, remote controls, key start riding lawn mowers.

No wonder we are fat and lazy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home