Sunday, September 11, 2011

Off Topic - Do People Change?

I recall a conversation with one of my friends regarding how grateful her
father was after his health began to fail. He was always extremely nice to
everyone, and always appreciative of what was done for him. But, he
had always been a very kind, appreciative person.


Recently I stopped to chat with a neighbor. He is an old guy, WWII VET, in
the Navy on a ship in the China Sea.

I thought about inviting him over for dinner, thinking it would be fun to
hear his stories. Then, after some chatting, it became apparent he was
quite bigoted, and perhaps a little unpleasant.

One little voice in my head keeps saying "be nice to him, and he might surprise
you", and then the other voice says "but people don't really change, and do
really want this guy coming around?".

It's not just that old people are cranky in general, they were probably
cranky when they were young.

Maybe some people are unpleasant because they were treated badly. This
old Vet says he ended up in this town because of a "mean woman", or something
to that effect. Then I just found out that his wife was kind of mean,
so I don't know if it was her he was referring to, or some other woman.

I realize now how lucky I was to have a Mom who was very grateful,
and pleasant.

One hears about unpleasant and ungrateful parents, and I guess this
old guy probably fits in that category.

Maybe I will take him some cookies, just to see if he will start
being nice.

Probably not, he will probably just complain about the kind of
cookies I bring.

We shall see.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home