Saturday, October 15, 2011

M's Estate

For future caregivers, just a bit of an update on M's estate issues.

He was 62 when he died, so not eligible fore Medicare. He did not have any
health insurance.

After he was admitted to the hospital, the social worker came and had him
fill out papers to apply for Medicaid.

We provided the papers requested prior to M's death, but apparently the social
worker did not submit them.

Two weeks ago the guy called me asking for a copy of the death certificate.
Anyway, I guess first Social Security has to approve the disability part, and
only then can the approval for Medicaid go forward.

I did not have time to fill out the questionaire sent to us for the disability
application, before M died, so I just made a copy of the death certificate and
sent it back in. OK, he's dead, he can't work. That's the way I look at it.
But maybe not the government.

So I need to follow up next week to make sure everything is in order. If I miss
the deadline the Medicaid won't be approved (which can be made retroactive),
and then I will have all the medical folks looking for money.

Also, someone broke into M's house and garage, and just started taking things out.
I had removed anything really valuable, but they did take some tools that we could
have used this past week.

So irritating.

Have now tried to make it more secure, but I really need to get someone living
in that house.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home