Friday, September 23, 2011

Getting ready

Yesterday G and I went to the VA to get copies of reports for some of his previous procedures.

I have learned that having them sent directly does not always ensure they will end up
in one's medical file. Futhermore, I realized it would be a good idea to read them ourselves,
so we know what was said. The reports are rather long, and as most Drs. are always in
a big hurry, they seldom read the reports.

I did learn (or maybe I just forgot) that G has blockages on both sides of his neck. The
left carotid artery is 80-90% blocked, and the right side is around 70% blocked.
When we were in the Dr. office I mentioned about the left side, and one of the interns
asked if they had planned surgery, and of course all I could do was shrug my shoulders.

I am quite sure that the VA surgeons don't do this procedure, which means they
would have to do it on a "fee based", pay an outside surgeon, and they don't like
to do that. So none of the VA Drs. have wanted to stick out their neck to request this.

Oh, on another note. G now has both Part B medicare, and a supplemental plan,
so he doesn't need to go to the VA for anything.

Now all we have to do is find out what Drs. he should be going to for what.

Of course, our first concern is to get the access for dialysis.

As for the blockages, it would probably be best to try out the new drugs on the
market before having surgery. Having the carotid artery cleared out will
probably be somewhat of a high risk for stroke surgery for G. Also, because
he has coronary artery disease, it might just get clotted up again.

More about that later. I need to do some research.

So G will go in the hospital Sat. morning. We got a "checklist" in the mail from
the hospital of the things he needs to bring.

Last night G and I went out for a really nice dinner. We don't often go out to
eat, so when we do it's a nice treat.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home