Thursday, November 5, 2009

Let the mourning begin

Today is the day the minister comes to talk to our family about the funeral service, as well as there will be visitation this evening.

Tomorrow afternoon is the funeral, plus then burial at the cemetery.

It's been 5 days since Mom died. It's nice that we don't have to have the funeral right after the death anymore. I mean, if someone is embalmed, it's not like it's really going to matter much. It's more of a problem for the funeral home, if they have enough storage space.

I haven't cried too much. I cried the first night Mom took the turn for the worse. I guess that has been a week and a half ago now. And, I often cry when I have to call someone to tell them Mom died.

Funerals are for the living, not the dead. It will be good to see old friends and relatives. I have been so tied down these last couple of years, I have missed a lot of events; family reunions, get togethers with friends.

But, I know how important it will be to see these people now. I remember as a child, the number of times my Mother would say "the last time I saw them was at so and so's funeral". I actually thought that was kinda sad, and made a note to try and see people I cared about, someplace other than funerals.

Actually the mourning process for Mom started after she had her first stroke, 2 1/2 years ago. That's when we started telling our "Mom" stories.

They should be honed pretty good by now.

We have submitted stories to the minister, who will deliver the eulogy.

I hope he does a good job.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the burial?
kkb

November 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Confessions of a Caregiver said...

old mission or something like that, hillside north of 21st

November 5, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home